Saturday, March 27, 2010

Correcting the Exhaust (and Waiting on Parts)

Looking at Steps 12 and 13 of the Instructions.

The dual exhausts on the kit, parts D1, D15, are accurate for the early Tiger. However, Part D17 is an elevated outlet cover on four short legs above the exhaust outlet. My references say this wasn't installed until sometime in early-mid 1943, which is a little late for the Tunisian Tiger. So I will delete that. One thing that is missing from the exhaust is a hinged flapper cover for each exhaust, that by this time was standard on the Tiger. The flappers will be scratchbuilt using some Plastruct rod, cut to size. Here is where I am waiting on parts.

The rear exhaust was also equipped with sheet metal shields. The original shields were field-installed by maintenance crews in Tunisia, and you can see these both as fully-rounded, or squared corner. My photos say either is correct, and should also have three louvers spaced in the top half of each side of this shield. Since it will be easier to form these using the squared-corner design, I will go with that one. I will fabricate these out of thin aluminum, which means another trip to the hobby store for supplies. That being said, the Tamiya-supplied shields (Part D12) are perfect and nicely done for any version other than the very early Tiger 1.

Here's a tip, too. While I am back here doing some work, there are some very large mounting holes in the rear hull that I will fill and sand, too.

Another thought, while waiting for parts, is that of the engine grills and tool clamps, which are still somewhere in process from Roll Models. In other words, until this stuff shows up, work on the lower hull is coming to a screeching halt. More to follow.....

1 comment:

  1. I have a 1:25 Tiger 1 Kit from 1969, but without the manual. It cannot be found for download anywhere. I have no idea to build it. It must be the same plastics like yours. I would be more than happy if you would scan/foto/copy it to help me. My email is webarchive@web.de

    Dan

    ReplyDelete