Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Painting the Turret


Once Turret construction was completed, it was sprayed using black automotive primer from a can. I flipped it, upside-down, and hit the bottom of the barrel, turret ring, etc. I allowed a full 24 hours drying time before spraying the cover coat.
I used the same paint for the Turret as for the Hull, Model Master Acryl 4728 Olive Drab, with about 20% distilled water added for thinning. Again, I started on the underside, and then hit the top. Once this was dry, I then placed the Turret into the Hull, and prepared to do a lightening mist.
First, I taped-off the entire lower Hull, making sure that nothing could hit the painted roadwheels and tires. 3M painters tape, and paper towels, worked great for this. I then mixed the olive drab with about 10% flat white. I really didn't want to overdo the fading. (We've all seen these great kits that are overdone in the fading area, where they look like they are two-toned)
Spraying from a steep angle, I then misted this over the top surfaces only. The idea is for a subtle effect, so I went very light, and not allowing the paint to wet out. Once this was done, the masking/towels were removed, and the Tiger set aside for a few days to dry before beginning to detail paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment